2018-2019 MPE Regional Training
MPE is pleased to offer the following regional training sessions. Participants will receive .6 CEU credits for each full–day course. MPE will also offer 5 SEMIs for the Improving Student Achievement Through Counselor Effectiveness full–day course. Each session’s content is timely for educators during the 2018-2019 school year.
INTEGRATING CODING IN THE K-8 CLASSROOM: A hands-on coding training that is limited to the first 20 participants. The training will examine the CS4MS (Computer Science for Mississippi) Initiative, in which coding is a major component. This workshop trains teachers on how to teach computer science fundamentals through mediums such as Code.org's curriculum and Google's CS First program. Participants will get hands-on experience building programs that control robots such as Sphero's SPRK+, Wonder Workshop's Dash and Dot robots, and Ozobot. No prior experience necessary to attend this training. All participants must bring a fully charged laptop to the training. No cost for MPE and MS NBCT Network members to attend and receive CEUs. Non-members must pay $25 to attend, which includes CEUs.
▪ November 14 Hilton Garden Inn, Starkville (full-closed)
▪ February 7 USM Gulf Park Campus, Long Beach (full-closed)
INTEGRATING CODING K-8: THE NEXT LEVEL: This next–level training session is for instructors who have already started implementing basic coding concepts into their content areas and want to increase their own level of expertise. The training will be limited to the first 20 participants. All participants must bring a fully charged laptop to the training. No cost for MPE and MS NBCT Network members to attend and receive CEUs.
Non-members must pay $25 to attend, which includes CEUs.
▪ October 19 Holmes Community College, Grenada
▪ January 17 Hinds Community College, Muse Center, Pearl
IMPROVING STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT THROUGH COUNSELOR EFFECTIVENESS: This training is designed for counselors and their principal, assistant principal or district-level administrator. Each school team should bring their 2018-2019 school year improvement goals. Participants will be able to set priorities for the counseling programs that affect the school improvement goals and student achievement. They will determine data to examine in developing a strategic plan for the school-counseling program that supports school improvement and include accountability in their school counseling programs as they collaborate with one another sharing resources. The training will be limited to 30 participants. No cost for MPE and MS NBCT Network members to attend and receive CEUs or SEMIs. Non-members must pay $25 to attend, which includes CEUs or SEMIs.
▪ October 22 Oxford Convention Center, Oxford
IMPLEMENTING MISSISSIPPI’S COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS STANDARDS – SCIENCE: This session will explore the components of the 2018 MCCRS for Science using hands-on activities and group discussions. Teachers will deepen their own content and pedagogical expertise by working with peer teachers to outline and plan instruction while sharing ideas about activities and resources. MPE and MS NBCT Network members receive CEUs free of charge and non-members may receive CEUs for $15.
K-2 SCIENCE TRAINING
▪ November 8 Hinds Community College, Muse Center, Pearl
▪ January 14 Northwest Community College, Oxford
3-5 SCIENCE TRAINING
▪ November 6 Holmes Community College, Attala Center, Kosciusko
▪ January 31 Marion County BusinessPlex, Columbia
6-8 SCIENCE TRAINING
▪ December 7 Greenville HIgher Education Center, Greenville
▪ February 13 Lake Terrace Convention Center, Hattiesburg
9-12 BIOLOGY TRAINING
▪ December 4 William Carey Tradition Campus, Gulfport
▪ January 23 The Mill Conference Center, Starkville
▪ February 19 Hinds Community College, Muse Center, Pearl
IMPLEMENTING MISSISSIPPI’S COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS STANDARDS – SOCIAL STUDIES: This session will share techniques and strategies that will support student learning across the full spectrum of courses under the 2018 MCCRS for Social Studies Standards. Session participants will grasp strategies and activities that will increase engagement and deliver content aligned with the 2018 social studies content standards. MPE and MS NBCT Network members receive CEUs free of charge and non-members may receive CEUs for $15.
K-5 SOCIAL STUDIES TRAINING
▪ December 6 Hancock Leadership Center, Tupelo
▪ February 11 Life Church, Laurel
6-12 SOCIAL STUDIES TRAINING
▪ October 25 The Natchez Grand Hotel, Natchez (full-closed)
▪ January 29 The Capps Center, Indianola